Avocados

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Keymaster

Is anyone growing a Kona Sharwil (sometimes just called Sharwil) from which I could have a little scionwood? Or if not Sharwil, Reed?

Inspired by our June meeting featuring Julie Frink I have a nice seedling tree growing (I donated the rest to our scion exchange) and would love to graft it. I have Stewart, if you would like bit of him. Thanks.

Chow / Williams
      Participant

Hello, there! I have a Kona Sharwil and a Reed. They have been on the ground for more than a year and both are flowering. You are welcome for scionwood from Sharwil now and from the Reed in about a month.

Chow / Williams
        Participant

My Sharwil is amazing. Got it from Fallbrook a year ago and it grew like crazy. Flowered and I got fruitlets. Call me or email me a day ahead before coming.

Admin
      Keymaster

Wow, thanks so much Wei-Ling or Sam! I actually managed to get a tiny Reed at the Green Scene but would love to stop by some time that is convenient for you to try grafting Sharwil (once again, sigh). I would feel more embarassed about my continual failure with Sharwil except that Julie Frink apparently failed with it as well.

Admin
      Keymaster

Thanks again. A teensy graft I made on a small seedling seems to be leafing out. I am holding my breath because I remember Bruce saying grafts could pushh a leaf or two even before the graft takes. But if it fails (sob) I will definitely come by.
      But because I am a fairly impatient person, where in Fallbrook did you get your Sharwil? Maybe we need an avocado field trip!

Chow / Williams
        Participant

Atkins Nursery. They have most of the specialty avocados:Jan Boyce,Nabal,Queen,Hellen,that most nursery dont carry. For me it was worth the trip. Prices were very reasonable. Told Victor, young man that runs the place, that the Sharwil that I reserved looked sad and it really looked sad: less than 4 feet tall stick with few leaves. I planted it last May and today is about 10feet tall with fruitlets!!! Call ahead of time to find out whether they have the variety that you want.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.