Fan-training nectarines

About Us Forums Growing fruit (questions,boasting, etc) Fan-training nectarines

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Haas.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Haas
      Participant

Hi All,

I’m curious if anyone has experience fan training nectarines or plums. I recently purchased two bare-root trees (a nectaplum and white nectarine) with the goal of fan training them against a trellis near the edge of my garden. I cut the main trunks to 2’ high in the hopes of growing some low branches to train. But one of the trees is only sprouting from just above the graft, but not from anywhere higher up.

I’d love to hear from anyone with more experience growing fruit trees, in case there’s something more I should be doing at this stage.

Thanks!

Admin
      Keymaster

Shaleece, I wouldn’t give up yet. I have had to abandon almost all stone fruit because 2 miles from the ocean I don’t get enough chill anymore; but in my experience both nectarines and plums (and peaches!) are fairly promiscuous in putting out new growth. It is actually a good sign that you are getting growth just above the graft (so long as it is actually above the graft) since some times, if the bareroot whip is too thick, the lower buds will not break. Worst case scenario, you let that growth you have become the new trunk, pinch it when it reaches the height you want, and let it make the side branches of your fan. But I bet your tree is just sulking with our crazy weather. My Dorset Gold and Anna apples are covered with fruit, while the Gordon and Fuji haven’t even begun to leaf out. My Persian sour cherry, my sole stone fruit, has been looking ready to open its buds for a month now but still nada.

Haas
      Participant

Thanks! That’s helpful. Fingers crossed the new growth is enough to eventually create the fan. I’ll keep you posted.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content