What’s Going on in your Orchard Now?

About Us Forums Growing fruit (questions,boasting, etc) What’s Going on in your Orchard Now?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Keymaster

Forum Guidelines:  This forum is being launched during pruning season, the time of new beginnings, but on Christmas Eve I was attempting to reduce my semi-feral Persian Mulberry to semi-manageable size.  Unhappy about the assault, the PM poked me in an eye so hard I lost vision in it for a couple of days (yes, a trip to the ER on Christmas Eve…)

But we are going to be more civilized here.  There are no stupid questions or stupid opinions.  There will be no eye poking, name calling, etc. at risk of a severe pruning.  Nonetheless, please remember we are all volunteers who would rather be outside doing cool stuff rather than tapping away on our keyboards.  So please avail yourselves of our national website crfg.org where there are myriad Fruit Facts and wonderfully informative videos.

Frane
      Participant

Lots! I have beautiful mangos that are getting ripe! I have guava, jaboticaba, cabelluda, white sapote, cherimoya, and more. It’s a great time of year for fruit!

Bester
      Participant

Happy New Year everyone! BTW check your emails for [email protected] for a message from me. No, that was not spam! Only one person opened their card thus far. Out of town for a bit, will see everyone in March. Thank you for the new forum! This is brilliant, Carine.

Caramatti
      Participant

A huge thank-you to Margaret and Ronni for your super-abundant generosity! Getting technical stuff set up can involve a multitude of tiny headaches and a lot of head-scratching. So thank you two for breaking us through that barrier on a rainy day so we can still communicate with others in the club.

I can’t do much today for the garden but collect rain water. I have all my buckets, tubs or what-not catching the runoff where I don’t have rain gutters. It would be really nice to have an underground cistern, so I could collect more and use it longer. The above-ground rain barrels I’ve seen are just too ugly. At least I can put the buckets away between storms, and I have no worries about creating a mosquito breeding-ground.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Caramatti.
      Fang
      Participant

We should do one of these “orchard happenings” threads every month so we can look back later to read what was happening at the time.

Schwarz
      Participant

Goji/Wolfberry, Peruvian groundcherry

Admin
      Keymaster

So for all those who scoffed at my flower-less Pink Passion vine, voila! It actually began blooming and setting fruit a scant week after our Ice Cream Social in August, but I clearly will be eating these (90-day ripening) guys well into January.Pink Passion flower and fruit

Caramatti
      Participant

My Monthan bananas have just now started ripening (about 80 bananas on this bunch).

I also have 2 varieties of fig in large pots. They have just now come to the end of their production here in 90503 (Torrance). They were ripening in September.

• A “Celeste” I got from Charles Portney many years ago (which doesn’t resemble any “Celeste” descriptions I get from fig info on the Internet. When this one’s ripe, the insides are like strawberry jam).
    • Yellow Longneck, which I got from Steve Berger in Huntington Beach in 2018. Steve really champions the Yellow Longneck & gives away a lot of plants he starts from cuttings. This is my first crop, so they may get better, but for my taste, it’s a little too insipid. We’ll see after the tree matures what it’s like.
    • That was how they produced in pots. But my “Portney Celeste” grown in the ground next to a south-facing wall is just now maturing (first ripe fig was today, and could’ve used another day on the tree if animals didn’t get it) (October 9, 2019). You know it’s ripe when the skin cracks, but it’s even better if you can wait until the skin shrivels a little; the flavor develops more and concentrates.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Caramatti.
    Caramatti
    Participant

Dang-it! I can’t get my images to load here, so you can see!

• Viewing 8 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Skip to content