Reply To: What’s Going on in your Orchard Now?

About Us Forums Growing fruit (questions,boasting, etc) What’s Going on in your Orchard Now? Reply To: What’s Going on in your Orchard Now?

Caramatti
Participant

My Monthan bananas have just now started ripening (about 80 bananas on this bunch).

I also have 2 varieties of fig in large pots. They have just now come to the end of their production here in 90503 (Torrance). They were ripening in September.

• A “Celeste” I got from Charles Portney many years ago (which doesn’t resemble any “Celeste” descriptions I get from fig info on the Internet. When this one’s ripe, the insides are like strawberry jam).
  • Yellow Longneck, which I got from Steve Berger in Huntington Beach in 2018. Steve really champions the Yellow Longneck & gives away a lot of plants he starts from cuttings. This is my first crop, so they may get better, but for my taste, it’s a little too insipid. We’ll see after the tree matures what it’s like.
  • That was how they produced in pots. But my “Portney Celeste” grown in the ground next to a south-facing wall is just now maturing (first ripe fig was today, and could’ve used another day on the tree if animals didn’t get it) (October 9, 2019). You know it’s ripe when the skin cracks, but it’s even better if you can wait until the skin shrivels a little; the flavor develops more and concentrates.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Caramatti.
    Skip to content